“Vegetables are like really magical weird things you put in your mouth.” – Anonymous
Meet Mike and Abby, by far the weirdest (only in the best way, of course) of my three roomies. Dinner time in our apartment is like a live version of Avenue Q. Whether we’re singing about Make-out Sauce (this song goes to the tune of Jeremih’s Birthday Sex), Abby’s famous pasta sauce comprised mostly of garlic, or watching men’s diving on the Olympics joking about weiners, there’s never a dull moment in our humble abode. And tonight was no exception. I returned to our apartment to find Abby and Mike, side by side at the stove, recounting scarring tales of when and how they each burned their crotches. This may seem like uncouth dinner talk, but I’d say we’re rather civilized. Most nights we cook dinner, sometimes even together, and typically the kitchen scene resembles the photo to the left. Once dinner is ready, we enjoy our random dishes in tandem.
Tonight, Mike made cheesy scrambled eggs and toast, and Abby made a veggie and rice delight. Although Mike is your All-American guy who enjoys shooting clays on the weekend and biting into juicy bison burgers (obviously bunless), tonight he went meatless. As a matter of fact, most nights in our apartment are meatless. I suggest you give Meatless Monday a try…maybe even cook with someone…who knows what stories may come from such an escapade.
Abby’s Veggie & Rice Delight
- Dice 2 cloves garlic
- Thinly slice 1/2 white onion
- Slice 5 little mushrooms
- Saute the above in a big pan with about 2 tbsp olive oil
- Add in 1 bag of Trader Joe’s Kale, add some water, cover, and let simmer for about 5 minutes
- Mix in 1/2 a jar of Trader Joe’s Tomato Basil Marina
- While the sauce is simmering, make your brown rice (you can substitue quinoa, pasta, bulgar wheat…)
- Once the sauce looks about complete and the rice is cooked, add the rice into the sauce pan, mix, and let simmer
- Put some in your bowl and enjoy!
Mike’s Manly Cheesy Eggs
* Only to be consumed by active, growing boys
- Scramble 4 eggs and mix with fancy 2 Cheese Mexican Blend from your local corner store
- Toast two pieces of bread and delicately slather with Philadelphia 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- Generously garnish your eggs with Tapatio and ketchup – ideally Sir Kensington’s