Guy and Howard Lawrence aren’t names you’d expect for the brother duo, Disclosure, who bump some of the best garage-house beats of recent. The more I read about them, the more I fall in love. They’re babies! These British brothers, 21 and 18 years old respectively (they may be 22 and 19 now, but I can’t find their birthdays anywhere..bullocks!), come from a musical background – both parents were musicians and Howard grew up playing bass guitar while Guy was a drummer. They’re brilliant, driven, humble, and thirsting to learn more.
On their beginnings in 2010: “It wasn’t like we sat down and thought, ‘Okay, we’re going to make a group together.’ We literally just made these songs in our lounge and then a few weeks later put them on MySpace—when MySpace was cool—and within a week we had emails from managers saying, ‘Who are you, and what’s going on?’ We were like, ‘What? This is crazy! We’re just doing this for a laugh.'” – Guy Lawrence in an interview with Spin
Influenced by 2-step garage artists like MJ Cole, Guy and Howard explain in an interview that most young producers like themselves are going back in time listening to older and older stuff. In Jon Caramancia’s review of Disclosure, he describes 2-step garage as “the sound of late-1990s and early-2000s London…a lush and bouncy and quick-tempo style that combined the aggressive and the romantic.”
MJ Cole – From the Drop (MJ Cole and Wiley clip)
- Their mom is partial to the more upbeat jams so she can do her step workouts while listening, but she’s definitely not a “house head”
- Guy’s description of Beyonce – “she’s f*@$ing incredible!”
- Howard on onions – “I’m not okay with them…I’ve got beef with onions.”
- They only began hearing dance music 1-2 years before their beginnings in 2010
- Larry Heard aka Mr. Fingers is Guy’s biggest influence in terms of sounds that he and his brother choose for their cords and synths (Guy’s favorite Larry Heard – Missing You)
- They never argue unless they’re eating because they both want the other brother’s food…talk about ordering anxiety
- How long it takes them to make a song – anywhere from one day to a year
- Howard will be singing on some tracks in their upcoming album, hopefully out in March. Just in time for ‘chellaaaaa!!!
Listen to Disclosure live (*the below are totally ideal Monday work slump listens):
Latch ft. Sam Smith **Disclosure wrote this song with Sam
*award for sexiest song…the music video is up there, too
Running – Jessie Ware (Disclosure Remix)
White Noise ft. AlunaGeorge
Disclosure mixed songs with both Jessie Ware and AlunaGeorge; I’m a big fan of them both. Two more gewdddd ones.
AlunaGeorge – Your Drums, Your Love
Jessie Ware – If You’re Never Gonna Move